Friday, August 7, 2009

WAZZUP?


I’m pretty sure you are wondering what this is all about. I’m also sure that instantly your wonder has metamorphosed into curiosity which surely has further graduated into inquisitiveness all of which will fuel in you a quest to read this write up (Oh my God I hope am right) of course with a poignant question in your mind: “what is this all about”? Yeah let me lay my cards on the table before we journey too far in this discourse. This caption just flashed through my mind and I decided to ruminate about it peradventure there is a succinct message embedded in this cliché and to my greatest surprise I saw this common slang in a different light. There is no gainsaying the fact that we live in a dynamic world where everything including language is changing and with the change came a word that has been introduced into our lexicon courtesy of the western world, that word is no other that wazzup. From the market place to the academic circle not leaving out the work environment, wazzup though not an official language has come handy as a way of expression especially between friends. I have come to discover in my life’s foray that life is an unconventional teacher – her lessons are delivered in ways that at best are eccentric and several times we just miss out of the lessons of life because we are looking for the spectacular when for our 'teacher LIFE' ordinary is spectacular. It is against this backdrop that I invite you to come along as we just spend a few moments to X-ray this 'ordinary' word and see if we are missing out a thing or two from this question?

The entire Wazzup phenomenon began with a delightful Budweiser commercial played during the Super bowl. In this television advertisement, Philadelphia residents were seen yelling "Wazzup" at each other from across the room, over the phone, and even via intercom.

Wazzup is a poignant question (what is up?) and for us it comes in handy when greetings between close acquaintances is to be expressed so much so that we already have a programmed response – the four letter word FINE. But alas! Are we fine indeed and in truth? Is the answer to this question fine? For me wazzup is more like a reality check question more like what are you up to or what are you doing? It’s more like a rhetorical question which should send a right thinking individual thinking. Am I really passing through life doing something worthwhile? am I adding value to the system am operating within? Am I making every moment count? Am I making sacrifices for the greater good of humanity? Am I taking steps that will shape history and steer it in the right direction? Am I ...? believe me, WAZZUP is pregnant and can birth a zillion other questions that each of us must sincerely provide answers to of course with a dogged resolve to make a difference and make our life count because ultimately we will be remembered for one of two things either the problems we solved or the ones we created. So when next your friend asks you wazzup, think well and deeply before you answer because he/she might just be asking you a question that will generate other questions that will ultimately set you on course to make your life count for posterity sake, it might just be a wakeup call for you.

2 comments:

  1. Woah this is a good way in to go, I like this insightful information on watzz up,

    I see it in you, the best is yet to come up, keep up writing and with time like fine wine you would taste.

    Thumbs up mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Joe, i have no speck of doubt in my mind that we are crafted for greatness, as we keep at it, the best of us will emerge. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete