Thursday, September 3, 2009

STANDING TALL IN A BENT WORLD

I have always nursed the ambition of making a difference in my time; I have always resisted the idea of being just a statistic or a figure, I have a desire to be the answer to people’s questions, the solution to people’s problems, I constantly feel pained when someone approaches me for a favour and I lacked the wherewithal to provide or grant their request, how I crave to always put a smile (or at least a dimple) on peoples face – bottom line, I have a strong desire to be an agent of change. I know that in the crevices of our heart a part of us yearns to be the change our world has been waiting for. But how do we make a difference? Take it from me; to be outstanding you need to stand out, Q.E.D.
No doubt you’ve severally found yourself in compromising positions (I do too) and one way or the other you are bombarded with loads of choices most of which are unpalatable and there were times when figuratively you find yourself standing between the devil and the deep blue sea with all routes of escape completely blocked. What do you do in such situations? Do you make a deal with the devil (which obviously will require you to make sacrifices some of which might be grave) or do you just plunge yourself into the sea hoping and praying that by a whim of divine intervention an escape route will appear. No doubt your choice naturally will tilt towards a less risky and viable of the two which most often than not will be to rationalise your position and make a deal with the devil after all, he who fights to run lives to fight another day. Contrariwise, I am of the opinion that ‘he does not make a difference who dares not to be different’. You know the popular saying if you cannot beat them you join them is so untrue for one who wants to make a difference because making a difference has to do with ‘beating them’ – yeah you need to beat them pal. I have been a student in the school of leadership for some time now (and when I say leadership, I hope your mind is not drifting towards position because that ain’t leadership – leadership for me is setting the pace) and have come to cherish a law I came across some years ago which says “if you think you are leading and no one is following you then you are only taking a walk”. One can safely conclude from the aforementioned therefore that making a difference is influencing them (or beating them) hence you have no business being with them if you cannot beat them. For a leader, joining them is not an option beating them is. Let the leader in you emerge, stand tall and set the standard.
We live in a time when people will always have justifications for their actions (and inactions), when there is no longer an exception to the rule, the exception has become the rule (if you know what I mean), things are no longer seen as black or white, several shades of grey have appeared and are the norm, even our vocabulary have undergone what I call ‘creative metamorphosis’, stealing has got a new nomenclature – misappropriation (what a tongue twisting word), and to worsen the situation some people who over the years were of impeccable character are beginning to dance to a different melody the lyrics of which we don’t understand. Pressures are mounting from every side but my friend stand your ground and refuse to bend – it is a proof of your character strength. I strongly believe that in the face of intimidations and decadence we still can stand tall even if everyone around us is bending and changing exclamation mark (!) to question mark (?). After all even in Israel of old when everybody deviated from the path of life to embrace foreign gods (values, ideals, ways E.t.c) there were still some seven thousand young men who refused to bow. I charge you friend: Dare to be different, stand tall in this bent world.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightflu, we really live in tough times, but to make a mark, you need to stand out, do what others are not doing and trust, you would succeed.

    Way to go mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah jo, it's becoming increasingly challenging to hold onto ones principles and values in this changing times but i do believe that we can still make a difference.
    MAny thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete